Cloud Operations Engineers specialize in creating and implementing cloud-based solutions. These engineers typically work in an office setting and can work for technology services firms and software companies. They may work with departments like application development and risk management to provide assistance during the initial development phases.
- Primarily focus on 24x7x365 eyes-on-glass monitoring, alerting, requests, and troubleshooting to include:
- Performing daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of cloud infrastructure, server resources, systems, and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups, live data feeds, and batch processing.
- Managing internal and external access requests, including approvals and general user administration in alignment with user access control policy
- Triaging all support requests and performing preliminary investigation for all reported issues
- Performing changes to infrastructure outside of documented runbooks such as software upgrades
- Implementation, management, and administration of Enterprise systems tools and processes
- Granting SSH and RDP access
- Network configuration of VPC components like (Security groups, VPN, route tables, subnetting.)
- Troubleshooting and resolving single customer issues with Windows, Mac, and Linux, VPN, permissions, and ownership of a wide variety of account administration tasks.
- Improving Cloud management and automatization for recurrent tasks.
- Following ITIL processes (Incident, Change and Problem Management)
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering or related sciences.
- Experience with typical project and system/customer support.
- Knowlegde on Linux commands.
- Core concepts such as EC2, S3, Route53, Load balancing.
- Virtual Networking Topologies and concepts including VPC, routing, ELB, and AZs
- Managing MySQL and/or SQL Server
- Building and administering LAMP web application environments.
- Ability to communicate in English with other teams.
- AWS Certifications or other Cloud providers
- Basic understanding of various network topologies and protocols.
- System Administration
- Basic understanding of Monitoring tools. (CW, DataDog or any other.)
- Deploying Infrastructure as Code using configuration orchestration tools such as Terraform or CloudFormation.
- Understanding of AWS services like ECS, EKS.
- Disaster Recovery key concepts